Thursday, August 18, 2011

Have Some Respect for the Dead


I am not sure if the rest of you are aware of these trends, but I have been seeing a lot of videos around where the head has been removed from a frog or a squid (thankfully they do not show this process) leaving the rest of the squid and basically the frog’s legs.  The “cool” part starts when they pour either salt or soy sauce (high in salt) on to these and the squid’s tentacles or the frog’s legs begin to “dance.”

If you want to see what I’m talking about or don’t understand, watch the following video (I warn you, if you have a problem with watching these sorts of things do not watch the videos; I personally found them disturbing).


I did not really know anything about this but according to the info on the second video with a squid the user writes: “This Japanese delicacy known as odori-don or "dancing squid rice bowl" is a variation on traditional squid sashimi and uses soy sauce to create the disturbing illusion of bringing a dead squid back to life. The dish comes with the head cut into small sashimi slices and the rest joins as a side plate once the "performance" is complete. This controversial method of preparing sashimi while it's still alive is known as ikizukuri, and is banned in Australia.

So what exactly is my problem with all of this?

Beyond being disgusted by looking at dead “food” moving (how cooked is it if it still has these capabilities?) I am equally disgusted by the fact that people are so entertained by it.  I am not disrespecting a cultural food or tradition but what I am trying to say is if you choose to eat animals/living creatures for food (which I do) I think that there comes some responsibility with that. 

You do not need to further disrespect the animal by having fun with its corpse.  Those that prescribe to religion will attest that while God has given us the right to eat other animals for our livelihood, we are to be thankful and not to let it have died in vain – that is, by not wasting it, and also by not disrespecting it by mocking it.  Whether you believe in God/religion or not the theory behind this makes perfect sense.  If you are going to kill an animal, do so respectfully.

These kinds of practices make me feel like we are all just animals ourselves with not an ounce of understanding. These things once had lives and why would anyone enjoy making a show out of its corpse? 

If you are going to take the life of a living thing to eat it there is no need to add further insult to injury.

-Malcolm

No comments:

Post a Comment